Here’s our new bracket following Friday’s amazing day of games.
For the first time in a couple of weeks, we have some real re-shuffling in the bracket due to losses by Virginia and Duke. The fight for the last two 2 seeds should be compelling. Kentucky is obviously a lock, and at this point, it seems like Villanova is as well as long as they take care of Xavier on Saturday night in Madison Square Garden. But those final two spots on the 1 line? It seems like it’ll come down to Wisconsin, Virginia, Duke, and Arizona. If Wisconsin wins the Big Ten tournament, I believe they are a lock for the 1 line.
Then it’ll come down to Arizona vs. the ACC duo of Virginia and Duke. Arizona’s 3 losses to teams outside of the top 100 may be the difference here. If that’s the case, the Virginia vs. Duke argument is virtually a coinflip in my mind. Duke has better wins; Virginia has better losses. Duke has a tougher SOS, but Virginia has the regular season ACC crown. The committee has said in the past that winning your conference does not matter, but in the past, they have continually put conference champs above those who did not. So until they prove me otherwise, I have Virginia as that last 1-seed.
Below is the link to our bracket, as well as the usual seed list, bubble teams, and conference breakdown.
Bracket – March 14 (PDF Link – CLICK HERE)
- 1 – Kentucky, Villanova, Wisconsin, Virginia
- 2 – Duke, Arizona, Gonzaga, Kansas
- 3 – Maryland, Iowa State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma
- 4 – North Carolina, Baylor, Northern Iowa, Louisville
- 5 – West Virginia, Utah, Arkansas, SMU
- 6 – Wichita State, Georgetown, Butler, Providence
- 7 – VCU, Michigan State, San Diego State, Oregon
- 8 – St. John’s, Xavier, Dayton, Iowa
- 9 – Cincinnati, Ohio State, Davidson, Colorado State
- 10 – NC State, Oklahoma State, BYU, Texas
- 11 – Purdue, Georgia, Boise State, Temple, LSU
- 12 – Indiana, Ole Miss, Wofford, Buffalo, Stephen F. Austin
- 13 – Valparaiso, Harvard, Georgia State, Eastern Washington
- 14 – UC Irvine, Northeastern, North Dakota State, Belmont
- 15 – New Mexico State, UAB, Lafayette, Albany
- 16 – Texas Southern, Coastal Carolina, North Florida, Manhattan, Robert Morris, Delaware State
- Last 4 IN: Temple, LSU, Indiana, Ole Miss
- First 4 OUT: UCLA, Miami (FL), Tulsa, Old Dominion
- Next 4 OUT: Richmond, Murray State, Iona, Texas A&M
Breakdown by Conference:
- Big 12: 7
- Big Ten: 7
- Big East: 6
- ACC: 6
- SEC: 5
- Pac-12: 3
- Mountain West: 3
- Atlantic 10: 3
- American: 3
- Missouri Valley: 2
- West Coast: 2
As always, check out The Bracket Matrix to see all the brackets across the web heading into Selection Sunday.