Here is the updated bracket following one of the best basketball days of the year, the Thursday of Championship Week. Big winners today: Kansas State, Vanderbilt, and Xavier. Big losers today: Iowa and Illinois. Right now, California and TCU are in their “keep hope alive” stage of the season. Neither would be in today, but the bubble hasn’t bursted yet for either squad.
Biggest change near the top of the bracket. Villanova has jumped Kansas for the number 1 overall seed. I’d say those two are locked in at those spots with North Carolina locked into the third 1-seed. I have Gonzaga as the final 1-seed currently; it is possible the Pac-12 Tournament champion could overtake them.
Here is the bracket and the seed list heading into Friday’s action.
- 1 – Villanova, Kansas, North Carolina, Gonzaga
- 2 – Kentucky, Oregon, Baylor, Louisville
- 3 – UCLA, Arizona, Duke, Florida State
- 4 – Florida, Butler, West Virginia, Purdue
- 5 – Notre Dame, Virginia, Cincinnati, SMU
- 6 – Minnesota, Iowa State, St. Mary’s, Creighton
- 7 – Maryland, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State, Dayton
- 8 – South Carolina, Miami (FL), Virginia Tech, Wichita State
- 9 – VCU, Arkansas, Michigan, Michigan State
- 10 – Northwestern, Middle Tennessee, Seton Hall, Xavier
- 11 – Marquette, Providence, USC, Wake Forest, Kansas State
- 12 – Vanderbilt, Syracuse, UNC Wilmington, Nevada, Vermont
- 13 – UT Arlington, Princeton, Akron, East Tennessee State
- 14 – Bucknell, Winthrop, Iona, Florida Gulf Coast
- 15 – CSU Bakersfield, Northern Kentucky, UC Irvine, Texas Southern
- 16 – South Dakota State, Jacksonville State, North Dakota, Mount St. Mary’s, North Carolina Central, New Orleans
- Last 4 Byes: Xavier, Marquette, Providence, USC
- Last 4 IN: Wake Forest, Kansas State, Vanderbilt, Syracuse
- First 4 OUT: Rhode Island, Illinois State, California, Iowa
Bids by Conference
- ACC: 10
- Big Ten: 7
- Big East: 7
- Big 12: 6
- SEC: 5
- Pac-12: 4
- Atlantic 10: 2
- American: 2
- West Coast: 2
Always check out the Bracket Matrix to see how The Nickel Dimer compares to the competition.